Beware AI (Artificial “Intelligence”)

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Beware AI (Artificial “Intelligence”)

• This topic has 36 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 months ago by Clark.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Clark

“Progress can never be stopped”

Gravity’s Angel by Laurie Anderson; YouTube, six minutes.

“The higher you fly, the faster you fall”.

#91283 Reply
      glenn_nl

A huge problem with AI is going to be the massive outsourcing to their services. A lot of jobs might not be great, but they’re still jobs. Call centres, almost all clerical jobs, millions of routine jobs which provide work and human interaction.

But then we get the more creative jobs too – script writing, given a few starters to set the scene. They’re not so good at the job at the moment, but getting better at a remarkable rate. Once you’ve banked enough voice samples, you won’t need people to do voice-overs. Even the actors themselves might not be needed with sufficiently advanced CGI.

The result will not be to free people for lives of leisure, of course, just as massively increased productivity and labour off-shoring did very little for the general population. It did plenty for the investor class, though.

This isn’t even mentioning the more sinister implications, over which the very creators of AI are currently voicing concerns.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by degmod.
        #91287 Reply
        Fat Jon

I found this page on W*k*sp***s. Very enlightening.

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

#91288 Reply
          MOD

MOD :
            _____

The latest post from DiggerUK is removed, because it consisted chiefly of personal bragging about the poster’s supposed wealth, and added even less to the discussion than this particular poster’s usual contributions.

@DiggerUK : Your trolling will no longer be tolerated. Contribute, or go away.

#91294 Reply
            Clark

DiggerUK, if you are feeling distressed, my hear goes out to you and I wish you well.

#91295 Reply
              Clark

‘heart’ not ‘hear’. Obviously, but I thought I’d say. I’m feeling quite distressed myself.

#91296 Reply
                Clark

MODS – thanks for that information about DiggerUK.

I’ve been having problems posting; I’ve had to disable my UBlock Origin Firefox add-on to get my posts past Cloudflare. I’m going to post a series of tests to find which domains I need enabled these days.

#91299 Reply
                  Clark

MODS, I suppose DiggerUK’s strange comment about their personal wealth could have been a response to my third paragraph 11:54 above.

Please feel free to clear up the mess I made with all my test posts.

#91300 Reply
                    Fat Jon

Don’t feel guilty Clark. I didn’t see the post that was removed, but I thought the original mention of savings and investments exceeded the content necessary for that reply.

If Digger had simply mentioned that he was retired, I would have understood the message that he was not a paid troll employed to disrupt forum conversations.

#91315 Reply
                      Clark

DiggerUK, my post of May 24 at 00:06 was overly cynical, for which I apologise. It’s not that I didn’t mean it, but on several topics I appreciate and often agree with your posts, and what I wrote neglected that.

My third paragraph of my May 24, 11:54 post was not about your personal wealth; I intended it metaphorically about claiming that “progress can never be stopped”. The UK stopped Iran’s progress decisively in 1953 with Operation Ajax; Iraq’s in 2003 and Libya’s in 2011. Where’s the Roman Empire these days? Progress is far easier to stop than it is to maintain, that’s just inevitable thermodynamically; scoffing at modern technologically amplified threats seems myopic and hubristically unbalanced.

#91569 Reply
                        Clark

Richard Heinberg warns of an overlooked danger of AI: that it will greatly accelerate most of the problems that capitalism is already creating. This seems to me a very perceptive criticism.

If You’re Driving Off a Cliff, Do You Need a Faster Car? at resilience.org

“And so, we come back to ourselves. We technological humans are the source of the crises that threaten our future. Machines can greatly accelerate that threat, but they probably can’t diminish it significantly. That’s up to us. Either we recover collective wisdom faster than our machines can develop artificial executive intelligence, or it’ll likely be game over.”

The article contains many links, of which I have read only one so far:

AI-generated fake videos are becoming more common (and convincing). Here’s why we should be worried. By Ian Sample at theguardian.com

“The more insidious impact of deepfakes, along with other synthetic media and fake news, is to create a zero-trust society, where people cannot, or no longer bother to, distinguish truth from falsehood. And when trust is eroded, it is easier to raise doubts about specific events.”

#100044 Reply
                          Clark

Beware AI? Or beware Big Tech fear-mongering about AI?

In my previous video I talked extensively about how the Big Tech is fear-mongering about AI as an extinction threat. They do this because they want to convince regulators to restrict who can and cannot develop AI. They want to do this by imposing a strict licensing regime where only government authorised models would be legal and the source code [i.e. the human-readable form of the software] would have to be confidential [i.e. a company secret]. They want to achieve this by holding AI developers liable for abuse by their users. This would criminalise open source [i.e. public] development because no small team could afford litigation…

Mark Zuckerberg Is Unironically Based Now, by The Hated One, YouTube, ten minutes.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
                          Reply To: Beware AI (Artificial “Intelligence”)
                          Your information: