Climate Change Denialists (who get all shy)

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Climate Change Denialists (who get all shy)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 501 through 512 (of 512 total)
  • Author
    michael norton

I wonder, why it is not allowed to be possible, to let people know, where their electricity comes from?
      I imagine if you live next door to a coal fired electricity power station, you assume that almost all the electricity you use, comes from that plant.
      I imagine if you live next door to a nuclear power station you assume that almost all the electricity you use, comes from that nuclear plant.
      However, for most of us who do not live adjacent to a big plant – we just do not know.
      There are firms that pretend, if you buy your electricity through them, you will only get electricity produced by renewables.
      I have assumed these “providers” are charlatans?
      That’s probably part of the problem, the group you buy your electricity from, probably do not even make electricity.
      I think this is shrouded in mystery, on purpose, so you cannot find out the truth, where your electricity actually comes from.
      Your smart meter will not tell you, yet it is supposed to be smart.
      There are no answers for anything these days, just swirling mist.

#101102 Reply
      Shibboleth

It comes from the grid, Michael – that’s what your smart meter is connected to.

#101103 Reply
        Shibboleth

Where does all the oxygen in the air you breathe come from? Is it the big oak in your garden or the trees and bushes in the park nearby? Probably both plus lots more from all around the world on land and sea.

It’s the same for electricity in a national grid. Why is it important?

#101105 Reply
          michael norton

Shibbolith
            I expect we are consistently lied to about almost everything.
            We are certainly lied to about why the war in Ukraine started. We were lied to by Blair about weapons of mass destruction.
            We were lied to about Libya.
            I expect they are now lying about the war in Palastine.
            We are lied to about immigration, about inflation, about covid, about the National Health Service, about how many people are without work, about Novichock, pensioner heating allowances, almost everything is a lie.
            They want you, the public, to know very little but they want you to really believe that what they tell you is the truth.
            It is getting to be like 1984.

I do not think it is too much to ask, if we are constantly fed this government ideology about Carbon Zero,
            to know exactly where our electricity comes from.

#101108 Reply
            Shibboleth

I don’t think anyone has lied to you about electricity, Michael. It’s just high school physics and common sense.

#101109 Reply
              michael norton

I have been in a Local Conservation Volunteering Group for 28 years, several of our members have PHD, some are retired doctors or are retired scientists.
                Nobody knows where our electricity comes from.
                We are all bemused.
                Ed Milliband, yes him again, wishes us to believe him, that in six years the U.K. will be Carbon Neutral.
                Nobody in my group of Volunteers, remotely thinks this is doable. They all think he is a clown.
                We discuss this sort of twaddle, most weeks.
                Most believe in Global Warming. Most think that our World is slightly warming.
                I doubt anybody is shitting themselves over it.
                Like most people my friends are just getting on with their lives but they are aware you can not believe a word that comes out of any politicians mouth.

#101111 Reply
                michael norton

Quote Shibboleth
                  “I don’t think anyone has lied to you about electricity, Michael. It’s just high school physics and common sense.”
                  The Hoover Dam, was mostly built to give poor people work.
                  Many lakes were dug in England to give poor people work.
                  Everything is to do with politics.
                  The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is bussing with politics.
                  https://climate-diplomacy.org/magazine/conflict/politics-grand-ethiopian-renaissance-dam
                  I actually am a firm believer in this dam project, however you would be simple, if you thought that politics was not involved. Politics permeats all aspects of life, in every country.
                  It is politics first, environment way down the list of priorities.
                  Do you think the New Labour Party actually give a shit about Global Warming, of course they do not.
                  Their angle, is hoping to manipulate their populace, to gently bring them along or crush them, if they will not believe.
                  They are cruel beyond imagining, as are most governments, it is all about power and retaining power, nothing is about saving any planets. We are being misled about almost everything, every day.
                  They still will not admit that Covid started in the Level Four Lab in Wuhan.
                  We live in a shadow world, where nothing can be actually known, everything is an illusion.
                  This is how they want it.
                  The peasantry kept as underdogs. In ignorance.
                  They know best and they will direct our lives.

#101115 Reply
                  Clark

Michael, this site has the electricity source information:

http://www.energydashboard.co.uk/api-info

That page advertises their paid APIs (Application Program Interfaces) to access the raw data. Their site also lets you run your own searches on the data they’ve aggregated:

http://www.energydashboard.co.uk/historical

Then there’s this site which I’ve linked to before:

gridwatch.templar.co.uk

Their ‘Info’ page has a bit of explanation about where the data comes from:

gridwatch.templar.co.uk/about.html

“Finally after having expressed a desire for anyone to point me at a site for real world data on power generation, I was referred to the BM Reports website, where real-time – or near real-time – data is available on exactly what The United Kingdom’s electricity grid is doing. That was a huge leap forward in actually gathering the data, as it has pages of latest statistics, but the ability to retrieve archived data and perform instant calculations as well its – frankly awful – graphical displays, was a real drawback.”

The ‘Download’ button takes you to a data download tool:

gridwatch.templar.co.uk/download.php

And they have a list of useful links:

gridwatch.templar.co.uk/links.html

Michael, there’s a lot of this these days; information in funny formats sold by obscure commercial websites offering a less informative pre-digested version gratis, and volunteers who try to help. The Admiralty did it with coastal depth maps, and Ordnance Survey offer subscription access. It’s because everything got privatised. There’s a market, so the makers, sellers and buyers of electricity have to make certain information public, but everyone’s a bit cagey about what they mean, and it’s the same with gas. But I think it can all be worked out by anyone who’s sufficiently motivated.

Britain uses a lot of gas, most of it from Norway via the Langeled pipeline I think. There are lots of gas central heating systems, tens of millions of them at a guess, plus cookers small and large, industrial process heat etc. Maybe only a third of UK gas combustion goes on generating electricity, or something like that? And gas-to-electricity is about 50% efficient, whereas burning it at point of use can be much more efficient, 85% or more? But these figures are all off the top of my head; I can’t be bothered searching for them right now.

#101116 Reply
                    Clark

Sorry, I screwed the italics, should be just one paragraph.

[ Mod: Corrected. ]

#101117 Reply
                      Clark

“Do you think the New Labour Party actually give a shit about Global Warming, of course they do not.”

They’ve just approved a £1.1 billion five year expansion of Stanstead Airport:

http://www.thecanary.co/trending/2024/10/15/stansted-airport-expansion-labour/

We are pleased to today release details of a £1.1bn investment programme in @STN_Airport over the next five years ✈️

– Announced as part of the Government’s International Investment Summit, our investment will help us attract even more routes to destinations around the world and… pic.twitter.com/HuYgpScFvr

— London Stansted Airport (@STN_Airport) October 14, 2024

#101118 Reply
                        Clark

“Most believe in Global Warming. Most think that our World is slightly warming.
                          I doubt anybody is shitting themselves over it.”

The trouble with that is that a load of climate scientists have been shitting themselves over it for years. They’ve been warning, and now they watch it happening, and they’re still warning that it’s getting worse and if we don’t stop burning carbon more and more things will break. Storm Boris broke a load of records. Sea surface temperatures were off the chart this year. Wildfires have been off the charts. There’s concern that the Amazon forest might be flipping to producing more carbon than it consumes. I don’t think you’ll find one single complacent climate scientist, they’re all concerned, a load have been tearing their hair out, and some are even getting themselves arrested.

Michael, really, you don’t think all these climate scientists are putting this on just to get funding, do you? They’ve been sending the same warnings for forty years, and now they’re getting desperate. Surely you’ve noticed governments’ reluctance to act over the decades? CO2 is one of the most biologically active gases in the atmosphere, you can’t just increase it by 50% and not worry, the very thought is preposterous, imagine if it were oxygen or nitrogen or ocean salinity, my mind boggles that so many people have managed to normalise the idea, surely no propaganda can be that pervasive.

#101120 Reply
                          Clark

Tipping points – climate, biological, agricultural, industrial, socio-economic, political. It is impossible to fully predict how such complex and powerful interlinked systems might react, so disturbing them is likely to be very dangerous. We need to lay off the gas, make less energy go further, live less technologically and financially, and more biologically and socially. War is the worst of all human activities, highly technological and financial, extremely and deliberately destructive to ecology and society.

Viewing 12 posts - 501 through 512 (of 512 total)
                          Reply To: Climate Change Denialists (who get all shy)
                          Your information: