Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Pigeon English

“Each invasion since, even if the locals were not killed, was a new, enforced culture change, a new subservience to the incommers”

MN

I would disagree!

Culture were always mixing.

Were your ancestors invaders or Indigenous?

Why are you Christian? Did you impose it or Christianity was imposed on your ancestors?

#81309 Reply
      michael norton

As far as I have been told, my great uncle was working in Shanghai, when it got overrun by Japanese, at some point, they put him in a lobster pot. He lived and eventually, after the war, moved to Africa. I expect after that he had as little to do with the Japanese as possible.
        Regime is often used to mock the Americans, as they use Regime for any country, that does not bow down to them, like Syria.
        The Royal Navy has been in existence for 600 years, in the U.K. it is known as “Senior Service”
        Yes, it is what allowed the British to have a World Empire. We no longer have a World Empire or an Emperor but we still have the Royal Navy, with the Nuclear Option carried by the submarines known as Vanguard SSBN.
        Yes, Taiwan is populated by Chinese people, many of the Chinese Nationalists, who once controlled China but fled to Taiwan under Chiang Kai Shek to escape the Communist Regime.
        The Taiwan people, think they are the proper Chinese people, the Communists are improper Chinese people.

#81379 Reply
        ET

The Irish Times ran a piece today bigging up Ireland based on the 2021 IPSOS Global Trends Survey.

One of the questions highlighted was: “In my country, there is more and more conflict between people who don’t share the same values.” As we have been referring to “values” I wondered how IPSOS defines values. In their 2020 Global Trends Survey, downloadable here, on page 28-30 of that .pdf they go into more detail about what values they surveyed than they do in their 2021 blurb. I am not sure I agree all the specific things they refer to as values are actually values conceptually but it’s a starting place for discussion. Ireland was included in the survey for the first time ever this year so I guess that’s why the Irish Times is getting all excited.

“The Irish are the least likely of the 25 countries surveyed to feel that we have too many immigrants in our country, or to hold the belief that there is more and more conflict on our island between people who don’t share the same values.”

Go us 😀

#81389 Reply
          michael norton

Boris Johnson has chaired a COBRA meeting today and they have announced the threat level to the U.K. moves up to Severe.
            In case anybody does not know blowing up stuff near to hospitals is not British values.
            A few years ago there was a car bomb driven close to a Glasgow hospital, the driver got a hard beating from members of the public.
            I would call that British Values.
            British values is wanting our British ways of life to continue as peacefully as possible.
            The opposite of British values is planning and setting bombs to inflict terror on the populated of the U.K.

[ Mod: This blog is not to be used as a platform for anti-immigrant sentiment, Michael. You have been posting content of that nature for a very long time. There are other recent comments from you in the same vein that have not seen the light of day. As Craig put it: “To precis Michael’s reply … he wants it to be respectable to be a racist.”

Craig discusses the racist nature of opposition to immigration in the following threads:

To paraphrase Craig’s pub metaphor in the discussion under the article “Blog Housekeeping Point” (25-04-2017): people who put the blame for socioeconomic problems on immigration will be banned from the premises.

You are being excluded for repeatedly infringing the “no racism” rule. You have received more cautions (for racism, amongst other things) than any other commenter. You have been given final warnings and been suspended more often than any other commenter. (If you recall, one of the conditions of lifting your suspension earlier this year was that you should refrain from making “any attribution of blame on the basis of nationality, ethnicity, or culture”.) You have also been responsible for more deleted comments than anyone else in the history of the blog, by a considerable margin. It’s time now for that ongoing cycle to stop. ]

#81390 Reply
            Pigeon English

E T

I am pleased that East Europeans did not trashed/impossed their values upon your’s. We behave in Ireland unlike in UK where we take over the whole communities and march the English at gun point to Catholic or Orthodox Churches or out of the Pub!

OMG GDP per capita Vs England is embarrassing?!

I have no doubt that with BJ and Brexit Britain will catch up!

BTW what means slogan “Build Back Better” I am not sarcastic.

#81391 Reply
              Pigeon English

EU imposing sanctions on Belarus and Russia is fine but them retaliating with cutting the Gas supply is anything from unfair to act of war. It is always the other that have to turn the other cheek! Maybe the Belarus should ask for millions or billions like Turkey to keep migrants away.

#81409 Reply
                ET

“In case anybody does not know blowing up stuff near to hospitals is not British values.”

A good example MN. Is there a place on the planet where people value blowing stuff up near a hospital? The answer is, of course not. Aside from the very tiny minority of terrorists who see benefit in this kind of action I would think that close to 100% of the entire planet’s population would see this as a heinous and callous act. “Not blowing up stuff near to hospitals” is a universal value held by pretty much everyone in the world and is not exclusively a British, nor any other nationality’s value.

#81428 Reply
                  SA

It is OK however to blow up hospitals as long as it is done from the air and by people who share our values of enforcing democracy by bombing.
                    Also ‘Western values’ I believe include bombing civilians in Baghdad to achieve ‘shock and awe’ and Baghus.

#81431 Reply
                    Pigeon English

S A

Since the MODs don’t like sarcasm I will try to refrain from it ?.

What I find pinnacle of our arrogance is asking our leaders whether bombing/sanctions were worth it – Blair and Albright – and of course they always answer Yes. There is never a poll what the bombed, sanctioned people think!

Everything is “just” collateral damage! Democracy works in mysterious ways.

#81437 Reply
                      ET

“Since the MODs don’t like sarcasm I will try to refrain from it ?.”

They have done you a favour PE. There has been more than one occasion when people have made similar sarcastic comments online and have had a visit from the anti-terrorist Police with I believe some prosecuted and convicted of an offence. We all know it was sarcasm but better safe than sorry.

#81453 Reply
                        Pigeon English

E T

I will try to remember your sensible advice on this site and even more on social media or other sites.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
                        Reply To: Eastern Europe struggling to adjust to loss of identity in the European Union
                        Your information: