Mineral Future

Latest News Forums Discussion Forum Mineral Future

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    michael norton

Food.

In the U.K. we produce about 55% – 60% of equivalent food need, for home consumption.
      We have a lot of lamb but most goes for export to Arabia and other places, while we import cheaper Antipodean lamb.
      We have the pound. This is what we have traded with for more than three hundred years.
      Other countries have to weigh, if our pound is worth what we say it is worth.
      If our debt goes above 100% of GDP, they may come to believe that our pound is not worth, that which it was worth.
      If we have a debt that is two and a half times 100% of GDP, they would down valve the pound, we trade with.
      This would mean that stuff we buy from abroad, like grain from Russia or beef from Argentina or corn from the U.S.A. or sugar from Jamaica, coffee from Ethiopia, tea from Sri Lanka, would become more expensive.
      Over time, we would fine it was expensive to import food from abroad, so we might, again consider it a benefit to grow more food on our home turf.
      But, many acres of land are now covered in solar farms or houses, that land is beyond economic reach.
      The country which can not feed itself is doomed.

#100550 Reply
      michael norton

Europe and the U.K. have recently had a down on agriculture.
        It is dirty, like mining Iron or Coal.
        Dirt is dirty.
        However, civilization probably only really got going when most of the population got down and dirty.
        Civilizations collapse, when there is not enough food to feed the populace.
        Beware the land that cannot feed its own people, for they will tear it down.
        Every civilization that there has ever been collapses in famine.

#100552 Reply
        Clark

So the UK currency would devalue relative to other currencies.

But pounds, dollars and euros are very valuable compared with most other currencies, aren’t they? It certainly looks like it; things from poorer countries cost little for what they are or how much of it we get, and this keeps those countries poor. Lots of things aren’t worth repairing because new ones from abroad are so cheap; this causes lots of waste.

Also, a lot of other governments are in a similar position: Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, France, Italy, Singapore, Spain, the USA all have higher government debt per GDP; Japan’s is two and a half times as high. The UK percentage is only a little more than the world average, and 20% less than the USA’s. So is the same thing happening to the whole world, or much of it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

#100555 Reply
          michael norton

Russia is a creditor nation and has a positive net international investment position (NIMP). Russia has one of the lowest government debts (total external and domestic) and lowest external debts (total public and private) among major economies.

Europe seems to be on the road to implosion, especially the E.U.

The E.U. had more than a quarter of world trade, now perhaps only 14%.
            World trade for Europe, did mean bringing in cheap minerals, cheap energy and cheap food.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEIKmpv_TA&t=541s
            Russia has extremely low levels of foreign debt.
            most debt is within Russia. Russia has the world’s largest forest, unlimited fresh water, unlimited Iron. Essentially unlimited energy, 30% of world traded commodities. Vast swathes of wheat growing land, the thing they are short of is people. Yet The E.U. has caste itself adrift from Russia, this is somewhat like a suicide pact.
            Is this madness at the behest of America/
            I of course mean the Elite, not ordinary working Americans.
            Even Germany is on the slide to collapse, the engine of the E.U.
            I do hope the Russo – Ukraine/NATO war ends soon.

We should always remember that many essential minerals are abundant in Russia.
            Potash, Nickel, iron, Copper, Uranium, Vanadium and almost everything else.

#100556 Reply
            michael norton

“A Flash In the Pan”

Many Chinese buildings are now banning E.V. from in building / underground parking.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGepSEOacVA
              It is expected that in the future China will have 300,000,000 E.V.
              They calculate they expect 40,000 E.V. fires per year, in China.

They are doing the E.V. testing for the rest of the world.

#100562 Reply
              michael norton

It is being talked about with the Labour administration that our car industry will die, if we order them to only build E.V. Ed Milliband is on the horns of a dilemma.
                Should he continue to race ahead with full electrification which would bankrupt the U.K. or should he evolve his thinking, admitting he was obsessed and his thinking was unreal?
                Grangemouth to shut next year.
                Port Talbot to shut this year.
                No more oil wells, no more methane, no more coal, no more virgin steel, no more car industry, no more jobs.

#100575 Reply
                Clark

I can’t imaging how my parents’ generation got through WWII. How could it have been possible to do everything differently like that? I think it’s impossible; WWII must be a hoax.

#100580 Reply
                  michael norton

Porgera Gold Mine PNG
                    Porgera Gold Mine is the second largest mine in Papua New Guinea and is regarded as one of the world’s top ten producing gold mines.
                    Gold is used a lot in electronic circuitry and in space.
                    One of the worlds largest gold mine, continually in trouble.
                    The mine’s proven and probable mineral reserves as of 2009 amount to 8.1 million ounces of gold.
                    In August 1994, eleven workers were killed when a blast destroyed the Dyno Wesfarmers explosives factory at the Porgera Gold Mine. The explosion left a crater 40 meters wide and 15 meters deep, damaging property up to 2 kilometers away. The cause of the accident was never determined.
                    On 3 March 2012, five people were killed and at least one person was injured in a routine blast at the mine. Police said the victims had entered the mine illegally to search for gold. The three survivors were arrested and charged with trespassing.
                    The main concern with riverine tailings disposal as practiced by the PJV is not the quantities of sediment, but the toxicity of the tailings, which contains significant quantities of cyanide, mercury and other heavy elements.
                    Porgera Gold Mine has consistently been criticized for environmental and human rights issues. Its internal investigations have revealed that killings, brutal gang rapes, and beatings have been carried out by mine security personnel.

Not very nice.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porgera_Gold_Mine#External_links
                    Rival tribe shootouts kill 30 in Papua New Guinea
                    Quote BBC
                    “Buildings were set on fire and schools, hospitals and government offices in the region have been closed, according to the Papua New Guinea Post-Courier.
                    Tribal conflicts are a frequent occurrence in Papua New Guinea’s highlands, but an influx of automatic weapons has “turbocharged” the most recent bout of violence, according to police. A witness, speaking to Radio New Zealand, described the recent levels of violence as “unprecedented”.

At least 26 people were killed, including 16 children, when three villages in East Sepik province were attacked earlier this year.

In 2022, gunfights between rival clans living near the mine killed at least 17 people.”

I doubt it will just be gold and silver mines where trouble happens, as we apparently need more and more metals for our all electric future, we should be mindful of the poor people who dig this stuff out of their ground, and the poisoned land that is left behind, while our concerns move onto more local problems, like freezing pensioners.

#100587 Reply
                    Shibboleth

There isn’t an “all electric future” – electricity currently provides 2.8% of our total energy usage. When FF run out later this century, where will the remaining 97% come from?

Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
                    Reply To: Mineral Future
                    Your information: